Monday, August 16, 2010

The ol' Bait and Switch

My time is coming fairly rapidly. One week from now I will be in Miami with a group of hopefully equally excited and perhaps somewhat confused future volunteers. My confusion was only heightened after today. Since receiving my invitation, I was expecting to go to St. Vincent and the Grenadines since, well, that's where they told me I was going to go. Over the weekend I received an email from the APCD of St. Kitts and Nevis, welcoming me to serve there and wanting to contact me. I responded back with some confusion, as I thought I had was on my way to SVG. This morning I received a call from the placement office in DC stating that, due to an error on their end, they told me one thing and the island staff something completely different. Yes, you may be telling yourself, the Peace Corps is indeed a government program. I guess this is the reason they say you should be both flexible and have a sense of humor about serving. So it's off to sunny St. Kitts and Nevis, which isn't so bad after all.

After I sorted all of this out and was able to do a little research about my new island of departure I received a phone call from the APCD of St. Kitts to discuss a few things. I know a little bit more about what I will be doing. Originally I was going to be working out of a school, and now it appears I will be working with the Department of Sport in St. Kitts. Imagine that - me, teaching kids about sports! Guess I'd better learn how to play cricket after all. So, now it's time to pack up this week and make sure I have everything I need. I guess this process has gone a little too smoothly for myself; there had to be a snag somewhere before I left. I was frustrated to learn all of this information today until I realized that if I would have known from the beginning where I was going to be I wouldn't be so upset about it. But anyways, my next post will be in the Caribbean! (hopefully!)

No comments:

Post a Comment