Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Island of National Holidays

It has just been a whirlwind of activity lately on the island, so I can finally sit down to write about it.

Last Thursday was National Heroes' Day in St. Kitts, so we all received a day of vacation. My host mom and sister, along with Cristie (the Anthropologist-turned-volunteer) went down to Frigate Bay and the Strip to spend a day on the beach. It was great, although the beach itself wasn't all that I expected. The Strip is a series of tiki hut-style bars and snackettes that line the beach for about a half mile, so I am told that it is a much more happening place in the evenings. However, it was quite good to get some sun and actually get into the ocean for the first time since arriving. My side of the island is a very rocky coastline, so swimming areas are scarce. There are no busses that go down to the tourist areas, so you have to either get a ride from someone or walk to the nicer beaches. Or, you can always hitchhike, but I will save that for braver days.

On Saturday our Assistant Peace Corps Director (APCD) took our training class on a field trip/cultural day at Brimstone Hill Fortress. It's known as the Gibraltar of the West Indies, and is quite an impressive structure at the top of a hill that overlooks one whole side of the island. You can also see the islands of St. Eustatius and Saba easily from the top.

THEN... this weekend was Independence Day in St. Kitts and Nevis. So, guess what? Another free day for vacation on Monday. We attended a military parade at Warner Park in the capitol Monday morning. Now, this isn't like a standard parade. It is essentially sitting in a cricket stadium and watching military drills being performed with the Prime Minister, Cabinet, and Governor General in attendance. It was pretty interesting, but thankfully rather brief. It was something to see though, and yet another opportunity to do something in the community.

Monday evening was the Governor General's Ball, which my host mom is invited to every year. It is strictly a tie and jacket affair, so I ended up borrowing a jacket from my host dad. And, since the jacket was black and I don't have a pair of black pants to match it, I ended up borrowing his pants as well. The event itself was attended by all members of the cabinet and the prime minister. I saw and spoke with several of the ministers, and even got a chance to shake the hand and speak with the Prime Minister Dr. Douglas himself.

The holidays were a fun time of the year, but I felt like they interfered with time I could have spent either at my school or at my worksite. I am getting acquainted with the island and community as a whole, but I need some time now to figure out my place within my work environment. I have been feeling a bit impatient lately to be cut loose, even though I am not entirely sure what I will be doing once that happens. Still getting myself to adjust to the laid back atmosphere of the island...

I have found a great running road in my neighborhood that goes out into the countryside towards the middle of the island. Of course, in St. Kitts, going towards the middle of the island automatically means having a steady incline. Being at the base of Mt. Liamiagua, Saddlers is no different. It is quite a workout, but I tell myself the run is only uphill half of the way. Going home is all downhill at least. Plus, about a mile up the road the view can't be beat. I can see all the way up the island to Dieppe Bay and St. Pauls. There is just something about running towards a dormant volcano.

Good news as well for people who keep telling me to post pictures. My mom has sent me a battery charger for my camera, so expect some pictures in a couple of weeks. Of course, I don't know how much justice a camera can do here. This is truly a place that has to be seen to be believed. But on that note, I think I am catching a cold, so it is time for me to get a little bit of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment